1 in a Million
We are aiming for a thousand, or ten thousand or a million! wonderful people to support our work
Be 1 because you are 1 in a Million ~ Make your pledge today
We aim to: Establish a network of local individuals, with the scope to grow to a National network, who will work with us, to raise awareness about the wider impact of domestic and sexual abuse.
Women’s work have provided a range of services for thousands of the most vulnerable women in our society since 2003 and recently started to provide specific support to women suffering domestic abuse. In fact over 80% of the women we support each year have been subject to some form of domestic or sexual abuse.
Did you know that at Women’s Work:
- We help some of the most disadvantaged women (and their children) in Derby.
- We support over 850 women every year
- We help children living in homes, where there is domestic abuse and drug and alcohol addiction
- We run the Freedom Programme – a life changing course for women fleeing or recovering from domestic abuse.
- We offer the Positive Parenting Programme to improve parenting and family relationships
- We provide intensive one-to-one support, advocacy, life skills and confidence enhancing groups
- We empower women to develop resilience and practical skills to ensure families move on and can support themselves
The purpose of 1 in 1,000,000:
To create and grow a support network, who will support the following areas of work:
Be an Advocate
Raise awareness about Women’s Works' 1 in a Million campaign, using social media and speaking out for Women’s Work, talking to friends, family colleagues and businesses.
Be a Donor
Make a financial donation to help us develop the network and deliver additional services to women.
Set up a regular standing order to Women’s Work. Visit your bank or do it online; it is really easy if you use online banking. Or make a one off donation by text, cheque or using our online pay now facility.
Be a Collector
- Filling a Women’s Work jar with loose change, or placing and collecting donation boxes on our behalf, in identified locations.
- Collecting and donating practical items such as clothes, furniture, toiletries to help women rebuilding their lives.
Be a Fundraiser
Organising your own fundraising and sponsored events, coffee mornings, cake, sales or sponsored walks to help sustain Women’s Work projects.
Be a Skills Bank Member
Volunteer or offer practical skills that will help the Charity, such as IT, Web developing, marketing, cake making, photography, gardening, workshop delivery etc; you name it we can use it!
Be a Befriender
Undergo training to become a befriender - to support and help a survivor of domestic abuse.
Be a Champion
Join the steering committee to help co-ordinate the 1 in a Million Campaign.
What we could achieve
We will ensure every woman and child in Derbyshire and beyond has the support and skills they need to live a life free from emotional and physical harm.
The majority of victims of domestic abuse are women in heterosexual relationships but males, people in same sex relationships, children and older people can all be victims of abuse.
The women we help are some of the most disadvantaged, hard to reach and disengaged women in society. Many have no support networks, and have poor mental and physical health. 80% of the ladies we see have experienced historical childhood abuse and over 90% suffer from domestic abuse.
In 2016/17 there were more than 11,000 domestic abuse incidents recorded by Derbyshire Constabulary and over 4,000 domestic abuse crimes (a 3% increase over 2015/16). On average in England 7 women and 2 men are killed by their partner or ex-partner every month. (Public Health Annual Report 2017: Protecting the health of Derbyshire)
Become 1 in a Million now by completing the form below, or download and complete the registration form.
Once you have registered we will forward further information about your chosen area of involvement.
Note: Fields marked '*' must be completed.